These fish tacos are a great family-friendly meal. The fish is battered which gives kids and picky adults alike the feel of comfort food, and the ingredients are mild but flavourful. One of the nice things about this meal is that you can serve all of its elements family-style so that people can pick and choose what they want to include in their taco.
For the Battered Fish:
1 package frozen MSC-certified haddock fillets, thawed
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
For the Salsa:
one mango, cubed
juice of 1 lime
small red onion, chopped
For the Slaw:
2 cups green cabbage, sliced thin
juice of 1 lime
small whole wheat tortillas
- Heat the oil in a skillet until it’s hot.
- Mix together the flour and spices in a bowl. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Dredge the fish fillets in the flour mixture, then the eggs, then the flour mixture again. Place the fillets into the heated oil in the skillet and fry them for about 4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown and flake easily.
- Drain the fish on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Squeeze some lime juice over the chopped cabbage to create a light slaw.
- Toss together the cubed mango, small slices of red onion, and some chunks of lime for the mango salsa. Drizzle with lime juice if desired.
- Slice the fish fillets into small chunks and serve the tacos family-style with a bowl of sour cream and any other desired toppings/
Christina Dennis, also known as The DIY Mommy, writes about making things for "mommy, for baby and for home".